Sunday, January 30, 2011

The man who approached me while I was visiting our Las Vegas facility looked familiar. He approached me, smiling, and stuck his hand out.

"I'm not sure you remember me," he said. "I came here about eight months ago from another state. At the time I didn't want to be here. I mean I really didn't want to be here."

At that point I recalled my first encounter with this man. When I met him he was angry about his alcoholism. He'd just gotten off a bus and was upset about everything. He was mad at his family. He was angry at the disease that had brought him to Nevada. He had a story about losing everything - including his job.

But the man who introduced himself to me this week was a totally different human being. His demeanor had changed. The anger was gone from his face and he was positive and upbeat. He went on to explain how the geographical change he'd made was the best thing that had happened to him. He thanked me to the point I became almost embarrassed and had to leave.

However, one of the rewards of what I do comes from encounters like this. The idea that this business, started nearly 20 years ago, has made a difference in a person's life is so rewarding to me. I realize I'm only an instrument. God has given me the privilege and honor of helping others getting clean and sober. At one point I probably fancied myself some kind of guru. But time and experience has taught me I'm here to help people change. Each time I get on an ego perch, life knocks me off. And sometimes the landing is not comfortable.

God has a way of putting life in perspective. Today I don't get too excited about my part in this process of helping people into recovery. For the last 19 years it seems like every time we get into trouble God shows us the way out. Usually, it's a financial or legal crisis, or a management problem. But each time these crises happen, the Director of the universe holds out a benevolent hand and picks us up.

And the result is that once in a while a sober client thanks us because we're here to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment