Wednesday, January 19, 2011

This week a friend of 15 years passed away. We knew Darrell since the mid-90s. He was the manager of a large temporary employment service and provided jobs to many of TLC's clients over the years. He was both a business acquaintance and a recovery friend.

We knew for a number of years Darrell had hepatitis C, a condition he told us about early in our friendship. But the condition didn't slow him down. He was an energetic man, had several sons, and liked to spend time in the desert with his dune buggy on long weekends.

Even though I knew him for many years I learned much about his character during the last six months of his life. When he knew he had about six months to live he told us of his condition. He was an example of how I would like to carry myself in a similar situation. He wrapped up his affairs, and made arrangements for the care of his family. His sons have a business downstairs from our office and he showed up regularly to help them process orders and do other chores. He seemed to do everything he could to ease the sadness and pain of those around him. I never heard him complain about pain or any other aspect of his life.

The last day I saw him he was in the rear parking lot behind our office. He was walking very slowly, leaning on a cane his sons had made for him. He spent a few showing me the custom aluminum cane. He was proud of it, and demonstrated the flashlight built into the handle so he could see where he was walking. In his hand he had a small empty box he was carrying to a dumpster about 50 feet behind our office. I started to ask him if he wanted me to carry the box to the trash for him. Then I hesitated. For some reason I thought it was important that he carry the trash to the dumpster on his own.

Before he shuffled off to the trashcan I gave him a hug and asked him if he was in pain.

"It's okay," he replied slowly in a low voice. Then he walked toward the dumpster. It was the last time I saw him.

Godspeed, Darrell. We’ll all miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment