Saturday, January 8, 2011

A man who works out at the same fitness center I do is having difficulty with a twenty something daughter who‘s using drugs. We began discussing her issues a few months ago when he was looking for a place for her to go after she left treatment.

Because of her work schedule my referral for him didn't work out. Her schedule required her to work evenings. But our program requires the women to be on the property in the evening to participate in group activities. When we discovered it wouldn't work I told him if she ever needed help for him to call me. I also gave him the names of other programs that might accommodate her work schedule.

However, today when I saw him and asked him how his daughter was doing he didn't look happy. He thought she had relapsed and was using drugs again. I commiserated with him and told him if there was anything I could do to let me know. I also mentioned he could probably benefit by going to an Al-Anon meeting, an organization with which he didn't seem to be familiar.

I felt bad for the man because I understand what he’s going through. It’s very difficult for parents to deal with children who are using drugs or alcohol. I have grandchildren and children who are still using and it's never easy to accept what they do, or to let them go.

The essence of the 12 step programs is the benefit we receive when we carry the message to others who are still suffering. I was carrying the message to this man today. While I'm not sure my advice helped him I know it reminded me of what I'm doing with my life today and the tremendous problem the world has with drug addiction and alcoholism.

No comments:

Post a Comment