Sunday, November 6, 2016

Asking for Help

Most of the staff problems we have in our halfway houses come from poor communication.

I have a rule that I use on a personal level that keeps me out of difficulty with our staff. And the rule is simple. I never tell them to do anything.

If I want something done I approach them with a request: "I need your help." And I sincerely mean that.

I never throw my weight around because I'm the boss. Instead I ask for what I really need: their help. One thing I've learned about human nature is that people generally like to be helpful. I know that I do. When somebody comes to me with a request – even if I can't help them – it always boosts my ego a little to think I might have the ability to help. Plus, I enjoy helping others.

Sometimes we have new employees who have never been in a position of authority. They may have learned about what a boss does from a previous job where they were treated badly by someone in authority. They were bossed around. Hurried. Always had someone looking over their shoulder. So that's all they know. And if that's the case what else can we expect from them when they start working for us?

A different problem we sometimes encounter is an employee who has poor self-esteem. It might be the first time he's ever had authority over another person. And his lack of self-esteem may undermine his self-confidence and make him act with more authority than he needs to.

To get the best out of people we have to treat them with dignity and respect. I have no problem with someone who says I'm wrong or shows me where I'm wrong. Their suggestion might save the company money. We must treat our employees with compassion and understanding. Most of the time when an employee makes a mistake it is not out of malice, it's usually out of not understanding what's expected of them.

We get the best from them when we ask them for help - and do it in a kind manner.