Saturday, November 12, 2016

The Future is Here

Fifty years ago we thought computers would set us free.

And, as all of you know, instead of being less busy and having more time to play, we're busier than ever. We often see a crowd of people where at least half of them are inputting messages on their iPhone or Android.

I believe there will come a day when we have mastered the computer world to the point where it will work for us rather than against us. And by against us, I mean taking all of our time being fascinated with these devices. We're already starting to see a wave of inventions that allow us to communicate with our refrigerators when we're away.  We can change home lighting and temperature from wherever we are. When we get home, our meal is waiting for us.

I remember about five years ago when my wife gave me an iPad as a gift. At the time I received it I had no idea what I would do with it. Didn't know anything about its capabilities and all the features it offered. Now, I rarely go anywhere for a long period of time without having it by my side. I can write messages on it. I can read a book on it. Watch a movie. Make a movie. It's fascinating what these devices will do, what they're capable of. Now I feel silly about the attitude I had at the time she gave me the gift. 15 or 20 years ago had you told me that I would have a device that would do everything my iPad does I would've thought you were smoking something really good.

But I am no longer a doubter. I am among the believers. At one time had someone told me that I would own an automobile that would drive me hands free 10 miles during rush hour down the 101, I would've said they were out of their mind. Yet that very automobile is sitting in my garage and I still haven't taken the time to learn about all of its features. It even talks to me when I make what it considers it a mistake or unwise decision. It measures how far I am from other vehicles.  It automatically brakes if I'm following another car too closely. And it tells me when I do it.  What's next?