Monday, November 21, 2016

Back at Work

Looking forward to being back to work today. After spending three days in the hospital last week because of pneumonia I had little or no energy for anything. However, my local drug dealer at Walgreens sold me several pills the size of a small submarine and told me to take one of them a day for seven days. After taking half of them, I'm already starting to feel stronger and more energetic. Drugs do have a purpose, you know, other than for just getting high.

I knew these must be some pretty strong medications. Because the druggist asked me "Do you know these cost $97 for seven of them? Are you sure you still want them?" Whenever they ask you questions like that you know they must be potent. And of course I told him yes. In fact I would've given him twice as much because I felt so crappy.

And because I'm feeling better I'm happy that I live in a civilized country where medical treatment is available. People hear me complain a lot about how much money our country spends on health care. In fact, our country spends something like $7500 per capita on healthcare. Or as some like to put it "sick care."

A recent article I read showed that the United States spends twice as much money as the next closest country, which is Australia, where they spend about $3500 per capita.

So one could extrapolate from that because we spend so much money we would be the healthiest population in the world. Not true. On the world health scale the United States lands somewhere between 35 and 40 in terms of how healthy the population is. It is true that we have one of the best medical systems in the world in terms of patching people up, grafting and transplanting and doing exotic operations like that. But in terms of preventive basic healthcare and nutrition we are in shameful position behind some Third World countries.

Whatever the case, I'm ready to return to work again on a limited schedule - for which I am grateful.
Click here to email John