Saturday, December 31, 2016

Contempt prior to Investigation

I recall several years ago my wife bought me a gift, a electronic device that I swore I would never use. It's not that I'm not cool and up-to-date. I just didn't see any use for the device. It was called an "iPad."

And it did everything. It stored thousands of books. I could watch movies on it. I play games on it. Either face-to-face. Or with someone across the world.

For some reason I wasn't at all excited about the gift. It was expensive. It seemed to be a waste of money for a device upon which I could read books and play games.

Years later I really understood the statement "contempt before investigation." Because I didn't take any time at all to really investigate the possibilities of this machine. It was something new. It was something I had to learn about. And my life seem to be moving along pretty well without such an expensive toy.

Today, one rarely finds me around the house without this iPad lying nearby. It’s a fountain of information. I can write letters on it. I can read books in another language. And there's nothing I like more than to win an argument; and this device allows me to learn most anything about a subject. All in all it's a miraculous toy that gives me a world of knowledge at my fingertips.

I’m learning to no longer have contempt for the things that I don’t understand. Instead, things like this pique my curiosity.

I wonder what the world will come up with next? I already have owned a hybrid car; and now I have one that’s electric. I drove it once and knew I had to own it – contempt had become a word of the past.