Friday, December 9, 2016

Fifth Anniversary

Those of you who follow this blog will realize for the past 12 days I've been writing about the promises. The summation of all the blessings we get once we stay sober.

But the real reason I wrote about the promises was because I was out of the country celebrating my wife's birthday and our fifth anniversary – both on December 3 – on the side of gorgeous cliff in Mexico. Her birthday, and our anniversary, fall on the same day by design. Her design not mine. But it works out just fine because we can celebrate two occasions in one day; plus I'm justified in buying her something really nice for three special occasions because we also throw little bit of a Christmas present into the mix to make it even sweeter.

It was one of the nicest nine days we've spent together since our marriage. We had an 11th floor panoramic suite at the Garza Blanca Preserve, and had a view of the ocean and coastline for miles going both ways.

But back to the promises. I wrote about the promises of because it was all on the same theme; it didn't require me to do a lot of creative thinking. It was more like writing about the brief history of my past 25 years of sobriety. And that didn't take long because my gratitude is always at the surface; I don't have to dig very deep to find it. But some days when I write this blog it takes a great deal of creativity for me to come up with something that's meaningful to both me and whoever might read it.

I've been going to Puerto Vallarta for about 20 some years. Plus I speak Spanish so it's almost like going back home sometimes. The people there are wonderful and friendly and cordial and nothing like you might read about in the press. And even though we've been going there every year during our marriage, and for five years before that it's still a wonderful and relaxing adventure.

But the best part of our fifth anniversary celebration this year is that we seem to be getting closer and closer each year we're together. We we never have fought about anything. If we ever start to get into a spat we immediately turned it into something humorous. Because both of us have been working with other humans for the last 20+ years we know what it takes to get along. Each of us works hard to put the other one first. And it has been a formula that has worked for us all of these years. I have learned a lot from my wife, primarily because she's such a good example for me about how to treat her. She has taught me that is not important to be right about everything; it is much more important that we continue to love one another.

The saying that I like goes like this :" a happy wife is a happy life." For the past five years I've bad a happy life – and now I'm working on the next five years.

Click here to email John