Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Spirituality?

The subject of a meeting I was at recently was "spiritual awakening." In other words, what does it mean?

One thing I soon learned was that spiritual awaking is pretty much a subjective concept. No two people had the same definition.

I believe that much of what goes on in our lives depends upon spiritual forces beyond our control. But not beyond our influence.

For example, why did I get sober when I did? While my brother and father both died of alcoholism at age 60?  Did spirituality have anything to do with it?

I think that spirituality has much to do with the ego. I think that the more we're wrapped up in our ego, the less spiritual we are.

I don't care what people believe in. But I think that a spiritual person will hand a bum some money. While a non-spiritual person will look at them with contempt or judgement.

My belief is that I become more spiritual when I remain non-judgmental and accepting of others.