Friday, December 23, 2016

Overdosing

The opioid plague has finally reached the attention of the government.

The other day I read that more people are now dying of opioid overdoses than gunshots.

Which has seemingly spurred the government to designate more money for treatment than ever before.

Having been an addict for over 38 years I hope that this is a serious promise. Because it's long overdue. I've lost too many friends over the years - people who could have contributed to society for years instead of meeting an early grave.

While this is still at the end of the Obama administration, I hope that the money that has been allocated for treatment will pass on through to the Trump administration. While Trump doesn't come off as a touchy-feely kind of guy, I believe that he realizes that it costs a lot of money to keep drug addicts in jail. I think that he also realizes that it takes a lot less money to treat people than it does to house them in expensive prisons and jails.

Let's keep our fingers crossed and look at the situation positively.