Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Resolution

Each year about this time I start writing about New Year's resolutions. Not that I think people need to make them.

Because a lot of people are planning how they're going to lose weight, or quit smoking, or go to school.

I carry on about resolutions because of how few people follow through with them. Quitting smoking or drinking, getting a new job, going to school, lifting weights or losing weight - I mention them all.

And many I know go into the new year with big plans for self-improvement. Then 30-90 days into the year they're forgotten all about it. At this point I want to give you some help. And it's simple help if you'll follow it.

And it goes like this. Take little steps at a time when carrying out your resolutions. Instead of bench pressing 100 pounds, start light with maybe 40 pounds. Look for that new job every day, even if it's for a few minutes. Circle some numbers in the paper. Ask your friends if they know who's hiring. Look on-line for school grants; ask your friends how they got theirs. At first cut back on your smoking until you think you can take the big step and throw the tobacco away.  That's how I did it 31 years ago.

Remember, you made a resolution. While it must be serious, it's not life or death. But the more little steps you take, the further along you'll get toward achieving your goals. I think I tried to quit smoking a dozen times before I succeeded 31 years ago.

You can do, just don't do it all at once.