Thursday, December 8, 2016

Promise Twelve

"We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves"  The Twelfth Promise

Many of us addicts and alcoholics have egos the size of the Goodyear blimp. For years and years we thought we had the answers to everything. Anyone who criticized our drinking or our lifestyles, well, they just didn't know what the hell they were talking about. And I speak from personal experience. People who talked to me in a negative way about my drinking simply didn't know how to party. How to have a good time.

It took years of me getting in trouble with the law over my drinking before I started thinking that maybe somebody else knew something – maybe just a little bit.

In this promise it says that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves. And that is so true. For many years I drank and used other substances as if I knew what I was doing. It took a series of circumstances before I realized that a power greater than myself was controlling my life. I can't recall how many life-threatening experiences I went through – all while I was drinking – before I realized something had to change. And the interesting thing is the moment that I realized that I would have to change I made a promise to God. And the promise was that if you get me out of these circumstances that I'd gotten myself into once more I would do something different with my life. I didn't promise that I would change my life. I didn't promise that I would quit drinking. I just said a prayer that I would change my life. And if God had asked me what kind of changes I wanted to make I wouldn't know how to answer. Because my life was so screwed up that I have no idea where I was going or what I was doing. All I knew, was that I needed to stay drunk any time I was awake, merely to function.

So I was in jail and I made this deal with God. If he would help me out of the situation I would do something different with my life. And for the first time in my life I was released from jail with no charges against me, even though I had done everything they charged me with and then some.

But after I was released from jail I forgot all about that promise I had made. But God hadn't forgotten. And within a week I found myself 500 miles away in another state, Arizona. I had no money. I had no plans. And I was still drinking when I could steal something to drink. Within a week after I arrived in Arizona I found myself living in a detoxification unit in a small town named Globe, Arizona. Now I would like to say that I got sober right then and never drank again. But it took me another seven years before I got completely sober – never to take another drink again.

Once I quit drinking my life continued to change for the better. I got my old job back. I started my own business: a recovery program that has lasted now for the last 26 years. It was something I would've never dreamed of doing on my own: it had God's fingerprints all over it.

Today I don't question what I'm supposed to do with my life. I just do whatever is put before me and recognize that God's will is stronger than mine.