Saturday, December 17, 2016

How to Help?

Even though our hearts might be in it it's hard to help everyone.

Some days I go to my mailbox and 90% of what I take out will be junk mail. Solicitations to help somone. In fact, now that I think about it, most of what I receive is advertising for some kind of charity.

I'm sure they're mostly good causes. Some have pictures in them that are heart breaking, mostly of children needing help. Or veterans who are down and out.

What does one do when everyone needs help? Even billionaires set up foundations or pick special causes to see who is the most deserving? Otherwise they'd be overwhelmed with pleas for help.

When I decide who to help it's usually someone who has substance abuse issues. Yes, and I know there are children starving in other countries. There are refugees that need help. In other words there is always someone who needs help more than someone else. But how to sort it all out.

I think one must follow their heart and try and do what is meaningful for them. There's no shortage of suffering in the world so one has plenty of choices.

The real thing is to make that choice and do something - anything - for someone in need.