Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Breaking Anonymity

A regular follower of this blog commented about her outrage when an actress on Real Housewives revealed on the show that another character was in a 12-step program.

She wrote, in part “…treating it (alcoholism) as something negative and shameful is horrid and secondly telling the world something one wants to keep ANONYMOUS is worse…” She went on to talk about taking action to let others know of “this injustice.”

I agree with the reader that breaking this woman’s anonymity is bad, but it only illustrates the attitude many folks have about alcoholism and drug addiction. They often view it as a character weakness or moral defect and have little tolerance for those of us who have these problems.

One way I am able to understand those negative about alcoholism and drug addiction is to look at my own views about things I don’t understand. For example, I don’t understand gambling, bulimia, or overeating because I don’t have those problems. I used to think that they should just quit and straighten up. However, I’ve never thought it was okay to hurt another human by discussing their weaknesses and character defects publicly.

The idea that someone would intentionally try to ruin the reputation of another human being goes beyond the issue of breaking anonymity. It has a lot to do with character. I believe perceptive observers will have more sympathy with the person who was exposed than the person who revealed the problem.

Being in recovery I believe we are living testimonials to the benefits of the 12-step programs. The best way to combat these kinds of public attacks is to be tolerant and continue to live right.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I also believe that it is never too late to live right. Today I am I am grateful and try to to right by "living amends" everyday even when no one is looking. I am thankful today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father was a diabetic. For what ever reason his body could not metabolize sugar. He loved brownies, cakes and pies but he could not eat them. If he did he would get very sick and perhaps die. There is no shame or moral judgment with his medical condition people and family accepted it. Diabetes was his reality. How is this different from an alcoholic or drug addict. Alcohol is sugar perhaps it is metabolized different for an alcoholic, maybe the same with drugs, but the reality is if they use they will get sick and perhaps die from that use. They can't control it, just like my dad couldn't rationalize with his diabetes. He had to accept his reality and live within that reality or die....isn't that the same with alcoholics and addicts?

    ReplyDelete