Thursday, August 4, 2011

Client Becomes RN

I got a wonderful email today from a client who said he'd been sober for four years and had recently received his degree as an R.N. Stories like this are the real reason I show up to work each day. To have played even a small role in his success story is a blessing.

This man was unique at TLC In that he was the first client who lived with us who had no kidneys. As I recall he had undergone a transplant prior to his arrival but continued using until it failed. While with us he went to dialysis each week.

To me this man's story is inspiring because it shows- not only the power of our disease- but the miracles that can occur once we start into recovery. How often do we hear of a dedicated addict who can overcome his addiction to become a nurse?

In his email he says: “I really have you and Rockie to thank for the way my life is today. While I didn't get it while I was living there, you guys gave me the tools I needed to turn my life around and for that I am GRATEFUL.. “

While we're grateful for an attaboy the reality is that he took advantage of the opportunity to get clean and changed his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment