Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Getting Over It

Those of us in recovery might look to the animal world for examples for our own lives. And, having written this, I know it’s a fantasy to equate animal and human behavior.

But for example, today our two Chihuahuas got into a huge disagreement over ownership of a bone. They were fighting with one another until the male finally took possession of the prize and carried it off to his part of the yard. The female sulked off to her bed, looking dejected, licking her wounds – acting as if it were the end of the world.

Yet, less than an hour later they were running, playing and wrestling with one another as if nothing had happened.

And yesterday I was watching a documentary in which lions attacked a zebra on the African veldt, intent on having it for lunch. Luckily, the zebra escaped with a few wounds on its hindquarters. And it was filmed the next day grazing with the rest of the herd - as if nothing had happened.

Now if someone had taken something I valued I’d have been resentful for several days. I might have had a session with my sponsor. And I definitely wouldn’t have been able to trust the person – in fact I might not speak to them again.

And if I’d have been injured – like the zebra, I’d of been on disability for months if not forever. I definitely would be seeing a therapist for post-traumatic stress disorder after suffering such a trauma.

While there’s surely survival value for animals behaving as they do, wouldn’t it be wonderful if those of us in recover could move on with our lives as quickly as they do?

No longer would we respond with drama, self-pity, drugs, alcohol or resentment.

While it might be fantasy, it’s still something we might try to emulate.

No comments:

Post a Comment