Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Keeping it Simple


A client with nine months of sobriety said it was sort of a revelation when the speaker at a 12-step meeting said complacency is the enemy of sobriety.

The speaker outlined key ingredients that help alcoholics stay sober. Among them were having a sponsor, regularly attending meetings, reading the Big Book, and doing service work.

I agree with this. After 21 years in the program I’ve made several friends with those who have years of sobriety and that’s what they all have in common: they’re actively involved in whatever 12-step program they attend. 

Sometimes it seems like newcomers expect a more complicated explanation from those of us who have multiple years sober. But I tell them there is no secret handshake, no hidden code.  What keeps me sober today is what kept me sober in the first year.

I’ve attended the same Big Book study for over 20 years, plus at least one other meeting during the week. And I have several sponsees. And it’s a rare week when I don’t do some kind of service work.

The founders were divinely inspired when they put together this simple 12-step program that helps such a diverse population of alcoholics and addicts. 

It’s worked for me for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment