Saturday, January 14, 2012

Life Gets Better


14 years ago my sponsor told me, "you probably think that this is as good as it gets. But you'll see that life gets better."

At the time it was difficult to understand what he was talking about.  I couldn't imagine that life would be much better.I'd been sober seven years. I had a great business and a great job. I've gone from being homeless and addicted to drugs and alcohol to having a great life. My children and grandchildren were back in my life. My parents were proud of me for the first time in years. My business was thriving and I had financial stability. I had a great circle of friends and employees around me. My health was good. I had respect in the community.

But today, at 21 years of sobriety, I understand what he is talking about. He was talking about how sobriety affects us on an intangible level. He was talking about levels of acceptance and spirituality that we don't experience during the heady rush of those first years of sobriety. We start realizing where we fit into the scheme of things. Life becomes less about ego and me, me, me. 

Today it's more about other people and how I can contribute to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment