Thursday, January 12, 2012

Making Amends

A long term client - a chronic relapser - made an appointment with me this week,  saying he wanted to make amends.

I wasn't sure what he'd done that would require an amends, but agreed to see him anyway.  After all, making amends is an integral part of the 12-step process and we do what we can to help clients achieve sobriety.

When he showed up he apologized for anything he might have done that would have hurt TLC or me personally.

When he finished I told him I wasn't aware of anything he'd done that would require an amends.

As our discussion went on the client began to realize that the real harm he'd done each time he'd relapsed was to himself.  He sat across from me with four months' sobriety after trying to get sober for over 15 years.
 

Before he left my office I said the best thing he could do is to start living by 12 step principles. If we incorporate them into our lives we won’t have to keep making amends.

No comments:

Post a Comment