Sunday, January 8, 2012

Powerless Again

Powerlessness is a tough concept for us addicts. I usually find out how powerless I am when I have expectations of those in our program.

Someone will be moving along for a while in what I consider to be a good direction. He or she might be working a strong program. They have a sponsor. They help others. They have a job.   They’re saving money. Then, out of the blue- to my dismay- they'll get into a relationship that might jeopardize their sobriety.

Forgetting how powerless we are over everyone and everything I ask myself  "what were they thinking?"  To me it’s so obvious that they're putting themselves in jeopardy. But blissfully they move along, seemingly unaware of the pitfalls.

Only in retrospect - after they go ahead with the relationship in spite of advice from others - do I recognize once again how powerless we are.

Sometimes we addicts only learn from our mistakes. And while I'd like to help others avoid ones I made, I know my best lessons were learned from painful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment