Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Social Drinker?

I had a chance encounter with a former client today who left TLC around eight years ago and resumed drinking shortly afterward. He said he’d been drinking a pint of whiskey a day almost since he’d left the program

            "I start at 1:30 in the afternoon,” he said.  "and I'm asleep by 6:30."

When I asked him how drinking was working for him, he said that other than some issues with his kidneys and a little arthritis he was doing great for a man in his early seventies. He seemed to have come to terms with his alcoholism and expressed no desire to change.

As I left him I had some reflections about how I wouldn't have survived nearly as long he has.  I'm an alcoholic who was never able to stick with a pint a day.  I'd soon be drinking a fifth a day and looking for other drugs to go with it.  For me there was never enough.

At 21 years sober I'm grateful for my life today.  And I pray I never get the idea I can do what this man is doing.

1 comment:

  1. my friend i am praying for you, and the people in TLC that the spirit of the Lord will grace them with strength. Its not easy unless we focus oh the healer Isa. 53: 4-5 My His stripes we are healed, whom the son sets free is free is free in deed
    blessings
    Pastor Terry

    ReplyDelete