Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Lesson in Gratitude


I believe gratitude is a good thing, regardless of where it comes from.

And last night I had gratitude for my life and health after I talked to one of our clients who’s suffered from cancer for many years. This man’s an inspiration to me because of his upbeat attitude. He’s dealt with innumerable surgeries, and various treatments that have slowed the progress of the disease. In the 6+ years he has been with us he’s never relapsed or left the program.

Of course, like most people, I view the world through my own glasses. And when I see a man who's facing these kinds of challenges I wonder if I could handle the same issues with his equanimity. After all, I've never dealt with pain very well. Even emotional pain caused me to put a needle in my arm or drink myself into a stupor. And here's this man – living in a recovery program – with no income other than disability who's working a program and facing his challenges.

As I drove home from the facility I reflected upon the good example this man sets for the rest of us. When I talked to him he used terms like "powerless." And "one day at a time." While these are all simple terms that propel us through the program, this man applies them to the medical challenges he's facing. He appears to be in total acceptance of everything in his life.

I'm grateful for the inspiration he provided for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment