Monday, April 30, 2012

Living in the Moment..


“Notice your experience and know that it is the right experience.” from Nothing Personal: Seeing Beyond the Illusion of a Separate Self – Nirmala

As addicts and alcoholics we often reminisce about better days. Or else we’re fantasizing about a future probably much more wonderful than the present moment. And in the meantime life is passing us by.

Many traditions teach us to live in the present moment as a spiritual tool. After all, there’s not much we do with the past other than have random feelings about it. And there’s not much about the future we can predict with any certainty.

However, if we accept the present moment – whether pleasurable or painful – then we are fully engaged in life.

A quote from 12-step literature states in part “And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed it is when I find some person, place, or situation – some fact of my life - unacceptable to me…”

When I’m disturbed I find that it’s usually because I’m not present with what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment