Saturday, April 14, 2012

Miracles Happen...


Last night at our main facility in Phoenix I witnessed a miracle: a man nobody expected to be around for more than a few days graduated from the 18 month Hard Six program.

This man came to us with an impressive resume of homelessness, alcoholism, and repeated failures.  A few years ago during a group he said "probably you won't see me next week. I'm not sure if I'm coming back." And, sure enough, by the time the next week's group came around he was not present. He'd gone back out to drink.

But he came back a few years later to try again. Apparently, drinking hadn't worked for him. During the first year he struggled with the emotional ups and downs, mood swings, issues that seemed beyond what our typical client deals with. However, he hung in there and on his own sought out counseling with a community agency. Not only did he obtain counseling, he also was put on a combination of medication that leveled out his mood. 

After the meeting he came over and gave me a hug and I congratulated him on not running away before the miracle happened.

1 comment:

  1. I know this person and I'm very proud of him..I can't wait to see his future and his everyday progress!! Everyday is a step towards a better future for him...

    ReplyDelete